Whole wheat bread. We go through about 2 loaves of bread a week. We normally get the GV brand bread…which sucks. It tastes stale compared to sara lee, its so bad the boys won't even eat the crusts (and they normally would) and when you toast it, it fall apart…it's just plain gross. So why do I get GV bread? It's cheap…$1.50 less than most of the other breads and that can add up. I would much rather have Sara Lee, but it's too much…almost $3-$4 a loaf.
So when I read about homemade sandwich bread…I was thrilled…I had a "uh, why didn't I think of that sooner" moment. But now-a-days, with the conveniences of grocery stores and pre-packaged food items, there are a lot of things we don't think to make.
This bread recipe is specific for (1) stand mixer and (2) beginners at homemade bread. Once you become a bread-making expert…you can play around with variations, like honey oat bread, or different grains.
If you are curious of the cost difference, here is the break down for 8 loaves:
1 5lb bag Whole Wheat White Flour $3.89
1 5lb bag Whole Wheat Flour $3.89
Jar of yeast $4.58, I only used about half of this so $2.29
Vital wheat gluten $1.39, I only used about half of this so $0.70
Butter $2.39, you only need 2 sticks for all 8 loaves $1.20
-------------------------------------
Total: $16.14 for start up cost, But price per loaf considering I only used half the yeast, gluten and butter is: $1.50 per loaf
I'll take $1.50 for bakery style loaf bread instead of nasty GV bread.
Cool Rise Whole Wheat Bread
3 cups whole wheat white flour (1/2-1 cup extra for counter)
3 cups whole wheat flour
8 tsp of vital wheat gluten
2 tbsp butter softened
3 tsp salt
3 packages or 3 3/4 tbsp of dry active yeast
2 cups very warm water (120-130 degrees)
Combine your two flours in a larger bowl. Scoop out 5 cups into your stand mixer bowl, along with sugar, wheat gluten, yeast, salt and butter. Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer. Turn to speed 2 and mix for about 30 seconds. Get your warm water (if you poured this ahead of time, make sure it's still the right temp) and gradually add the warm water to the flour mixture. Mix for another 1 1/2 minutes.
Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough clings to the hook and cleans the side of the bowl. Make sure not to over-knead, this process should not take more than 4 minutes.
Cover with plastic wrap and a dish towel and let stand for 30 minutes.
The dough will be to the top of mixer bowl. Take out of bowl and cut in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 9x14 rectangle (I use my loaf pans as a reference)
Starting at the shorter end, roll the dough tightly and pinch to seal the seam.
Pinch the ends and tuck them under. Place the dough, seams down, in the greased loaf pan.
Brush the tops with olive oil, vegetable or melted butter. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 5-12 hours.
When ready to bake, uncover dough and let sit at room temp. for 10 minutes. Puncture any gas bubbles, I never get any, but just in case. Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Don't over cook, the bread should sound hallow when tapped with a butter knife. Remove from pans immediately and place on a cooling rack.
Once cooled, I slice and place loaf in a zip lock bag. Homemade bread should be refrigerated or froze, it doesn't contain preservatives like store bought bread. It warms and toasts well. I have made french toast with it and it's awesome as a sandwich! And besides the cost…there are no preservatives or gross fake things in this bread! It's good knowing you are giving your kids healthy natural bread.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Please Leave a Comment and Make sure to Sign "From Reader" so we know who you are! :)