Thursday, January 26, 2012

15 weeks

We had our 15 week appointment today, and everything is fine with the baby…heart rate was 151.  I, however, had high blood pressure 134/89 {UGH!}  the doctor told me I need to treat my blood pressure (he called it pre-clempsia) like gestational diabetes patients do.  He explained further…women who have gestational diabetes have to watch their sugar intake and keep their weight down…you need to watch your salt intake and keep your weight down. He added that he would bet I have a family history of high blood pressure and he would also bet I will be on meds for it in 10 years, IF I don't change my lifestyle to a low sodium one.  So eat low sodium and exercise….easy fix right!?

Well, we just got a gym membership, so I am excited about that!
But the sodium intake is another story, let me break that down for you.   The recommended daily intake of sodium is around 2000mg…my face and hands start to swell after about 250 mg of sodium.  I had a salad last night for dinner, here's what was on it:

2 cups ice berg lettuce- 9 mg sodium 14 cal
2 eggs- 170mg sodium     79cal
1 cheese stick (cubed)- 210mg sodium   70cal
1/2 tomato- 10mg sodium     15cal
5 whole wheat crackers-120mg sodium    70cal
2 tbps ranch-260mg sodium    140cal
carrots-20 mg sodium    30cal
__________________
total=
Calories= 418
Sodium=799mg

Needless to say, I was not feeling great this morning and thus why my blood pressure was so high at the appointment.  My daily count of sodium yesterday was well over 3000mg while my calories were more like 1800.  Even low sodium foods are not low enough for me, so we are really going to have to be creative.




  • Negative Nancy: Hungry…please feed me!  the sodium is the worst.

  • Positive Polly:  I am passed all the drama of the 1st trimester, but now I battle the sodium.  

  • Waistline: regular jeans that rest below the baby bump. Gained a couple pounds…more or less depending on my sodium intake

  • Cravings: whatever doesn't gross me out, it's a daily struggle

  • What I miss:  A sane mind and energy…pizza

  • What I am looking foreword to: finding out the sex!!!!!  next appointment!

  • Ryan:  swears he will do the low sodium diet with me, but I know I will catch him in the kitchen sneaking peanut butter! 

  • Riley and Tate- at bedtime, I noticed riley had a much rounder belly than usual.  I said…"buddy whats in your belly?"  Riley responded " A baby!  I have a baby in my belly too mommy!"  I replied "oh!  what are you going to have"  Riley pulled the object from under his shirt and said  " A GOAT!"  Sure enough, it was.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Please Leave a Comment and Make sure to Sign "From Reader" so we know who you are! :)