Thursday, March 24, 2011

Tate Update: 1 Week

Initially I wanted to take Tate to a pediatrician...but when we went there last Friday...I was less than impressed. They took his weight 6 pounds 8 ounces, looked at his color: he is a little jaundice, and took his blood.   Not worth the drive to Des Moines for a wellness check up.  So I made another appointment for his 1 week with a family practice in town with a doctor I saw once while I was pregnant with a fever.  I really liked him and he seemed to care and take his time...I also noticed at the time that he had lots of kids stuff hanging on his walls. So I packed up Tate (Riley stayed home with my mom) and he now weighs 6 pounds 13 ounces...
Plus this doctor took his time to ask me questions to get to know me and Tate like how nursing was going, how Tate was sleeping, pooping & peeing, he went over cord care and all other safety. Tate is still jaundice and we had to get more blood taken.  We have a follow up next Wednesday 3/30.

Tate overall is a fantastic baby.  Once in a while he cries at diaper changes and baths, but only because he gets cold!  He eats well, I can't seem to get him on MY schedule...so for now I guess I will let my damn scheduling out the window and feed on demand (I never thought I would say that!)  But  have a goal to get him on a schedule by 4 weeks, because this child will sleep through the night by 8 weeks.  Tate is very laid back...it takes quite a bit to irritate him.  He loves to be swaddled and loves to snuggle.  He sleeps in a bassinet on my side of the bed and wakes me about every 4 hours at night, which means I get 2-3 hours stretches of sleep.

Riley has eventually taken to Tate.  At first he didn't like him...or he didn't like mommy holding him.  Riley would come near me or look at me when I held Tate.  But after some coaching Riley came around and now every morning asks "where baby Tate!?"  He doesn't like it when Tate cries...today I gave Tate a bath and Riley kept trying to pull me away from the bath tub to get Tate out...so we explained to Tate was just cold and put Riley in the tub with Tate...it's a work in progress.

Bear thinks that Tate is her baby...she reminds us of Nana from Peter Pan.  She whines or barks at me when I burp him, and nudges his bottom when he poops, I can no longer put the recliner down if I am holding Tate...it's just ridiculous.

Finally my wonderful hubby!  He is taking his role as daddy and husband this time to a whole other level.  Not that he wasn't a good dad when Riley was newborn...but I think this time he is much more confident with his role (that can be said for me too!)  He was fantastic during labor...letting me do "my thing"  and reminding me to stay strong and relax my shoulders.  He changed almost all the diapers in the hospital and insists on getting up with me for feedings...although I don't always wake him.  He even went to the store to by me pads!  Now that is love!

As for me...It's always rough the first couple weeks after birth.  There are points where I start to feel sorry for  myself, but I have to focus on the blessings at hand and that life will be normal again!  Nursing is going really well, no pumping this time, just straight on boob time.  My swelling and water weight is almost gone, making me 20 pounds lighter... 15 more pounds to pre-weight.  (I can home from the hospital weighing more from the IV fluids)   I was so swollen I had rolls on my ankles...gross!  My wedding ring almost fit and I can finally sit indian style and get in and out of bed with minimal pain.  I am not adjusting well to the sleep deprivation...I fall asleep nursing...but I have to say the sleep I get is HEAVEN>>>after not sleeping comfortably for the last 3 months falling asleep on my back is fantastic!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave a Comment and Make sure to Sign "From Reader" so we know who you are! :)